Our Maternal Grandparents
Joesph and Mildred Mitchell, Bucky's grandparents
Arthur and Mary Wilkinson, Mary's grandparents
Those people matters so much to Bucky and myself. We look up to them and see how they grace with age. They set examples to us on how to grace ourselves with age and have upmost respect for other people. They raised their children, spoiling their grandchildren and now they have great grandchildren.. They are both from different worlds, The Mitchell's are hearing and The Wilkinson's are deaf.
The Mitchell's lives near Hickory NC in a small town.. They will celebrate their 58th anniversary this September, 2004. They have 7 children, 24 grandchildren and approximately 35 great grandchildren.
We call Joesph "Pop" and Mildred "Mom Mom" so you know who I am referring to when you see those names. Pop was in Navy when he was young man and he came to work dealing cars as well as several different things which earns him the name, jack of all trades. He can't sit still and chat long. He has to keep moving and keep working, recruiting grandchildren/great grandchildren to help him work. Mom Mom is always surrounded with children. Mom Mom has no heart to turn away any children in need. She felt the need to help anyone who needs help. All children flock to her for attention and for her yummy food and sweets. They both are very involved with Church and very strong Christians. Their health now are declining relating with age but their examples shines on. Pop was recently diagnosed with Parkinson diease and Mom Mom has high blood pressure. I look at them and I pray that Bucky and I will have their wealth when we reaches our old days with grace that they have..
The Wilkinson's lives in Knoxville Tennessee. They got married April 17, 1943 and just celebrated their 61st anniversary. They have one daughter, two granddaughters and three great grandchildren.
We call Arthur "Gramps" and Mary "Granny".. Gramps had worked for different printing shops and had retired from Washington Post following his kidney surgery in 1984. Granny worked for different type of jobs until her job at bank and she worked there for several years until her retirement in 1984 and they both moved to Wendell NC and was very involved with my life, telling me the life stories they went through. Their health also are declining, Granny has been diagnosed with Macular Denegeration in her eyes and is legally blind even though she can still see shapes but it's not in focus.. Gramps has had some difficulties with some health issues due to the fact he's 85 years old now.
By the way, I was named after Granny. My name, Mary Elizabeth has been passed each other generation 4th times and the middle name Elizabeth has been passed on for 6th generation on Granny's side to my daughter, Tori.
They both give us something to realize and to look at life and see how grand it can be depending on how you make the life for yourself.. I am very grateful to have them in my life and I love them so much!










2 Comments:
Both sets of grandparents seem like someone I would like to be like when I grow older. I know you love them and I can tell by knowing you that your grandparents have had a big influence on you.
Ahh, my great aunt and uncle looks good and well.
Good to know that!
R-
Post a Comment
<< Home