March's nearly over..
Hello! Hello! Hello!
I have some exciting news to share..
Bucky had to go and take MCP 270-271 - Supporting Users & Troubleshooting a MS Win XP Operating Sys (Microsoft Certification Professional) test today (Friday) at noon and he PASSED!! So he's planning on taking one more test to get another certification to be certified as MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Tech.) soon. I am just very excited he passed and feeling real good about his test score! YAY!! Congratulation honey!!
~*~*~
And another Congratulation to Bucky as he's proud owner of his first own motorcycle.. Will have a picture taken to post online.. He's really tickled that he is able to say "I'm a motorcycle owner" :) One of our neighbors was really thrilled to see that Bucky has a motorcycle as he has two bikes of his own and they rode around the block today before we hit the road to Clinton..
~*~*~
I didn't get to see "Through the Deaf eyes" when it came out on Wednesday as I went to bed at 8 pm due to being so tired. I was very fortunate that Dad copied it on his DVR so I was able to watch it tonight. WOW!! MAN!! I realized I missed those old deaf actors/actresses I watched when I was younger such as Deafcla among the others. So I am going to see if I can get a copy of that movie to watch and let my children see the "oldies deaf movies".. I thought the show was very good and to the point of Hearing/Deafness.. I loved that guy at the beginning and the ending of that show, C.J. Jones. LOL!! He's funny but at the end of the show, He has the point right there.. It's not the matter of deafness and unablilty of speaking with voice BUT knowledge that should make the big difference!
That brings me to one of the bosses at my workplace, he came to my desk other day and asked "why didn't deaf school teach deaf children how to speak?" I said "Deaf school has speech program but not all children succeed at this and why didn't hearing people learn sign language instead of Spanish, French, Germany?" he looked at me and said "I know, I know" :)
Like the guy said in the clip "Can you read my lips?" I really hate that words because it makes me feel like I have to assist them to be able to communicate with me. They can just go ahead and write down what they want to say or have an interpreter available.. Why do they have to ask "Can you read lips?"
~*~*~
Mom is doing very well after her joint replacement/ Carpal release surgery last week. She is now in cast for next 3 weeks then will be fitted with brace to wear for another month.. Bless her and Dad for being patient and willing to take in Justin and Ryan this past week while the boys were on their spring break. I was hoping my plan would follow through but it fell through so Mom and Dad was willing to make this work so I'm very grateful for them to help us out with the boys while Bucky and I work to make living for our family. Thank you Mom and Dad! We love you..
~*~*~
Another Deaf issue.. I agree with this email I got from Mom and Dad.. Every interpreter who makes money from intepreting should be licensed no matter how simple the assignment is..
-------Original Message---
Subject: Support State Legislation on Licensing
Interpreters
I SUPPORT STATE LEGISLATION ON CERTIFYING AND LICENSING
INTERPRETERS!
Hello! I am Paul Kiel. I am known as Deaf Advocate on many
blogs and newsletters around the country. I have lived and experienced using
sign language interpreters in many cities and states. I do encourage the state
legislators to develop state legislation on certifying and licensing
interpreters.
Can drivers drive car without license? NO - it is illegal
to drive without license.
Can lawyers perform legal duties without
license? NO - they have to pass the bar exam to be qualifed to work with
clients.
Can doctors perform surgeries on patients without license? NO -
they have to pass and be approved by state medical boards.
Can sign
language interpreters work without license? NO - they have to be licensed in
order to do any interpreting.
According to National Association of the
Deaf's website under Advocacy Issues - Interpreting, it stated that, "The
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) basically gives deaf and hard of hearing
individuals the right to a qualified interpreter. However, the definition of
"qualified interpreter" is very broad and does not establish the standards for
the interprters before they are hired to provide interpreting services."
More states are interested in having ceritfication and licensing
interpreters for all settings.
It is important to monitor who is
interpreting.
It is imperative that we regulate, report and improve the
interpreting profession.
It is a profession that needs checks and
balances.
This helps weed out those unscrupuous individuals.
We
do need a licensure to help us know what's going on and who are capable of doing
the job.
This will help provide good interpreters with credit and
identify the bad apples.
Having licensure will help improve interpreting
services for Deaf and Hard of hearing.
I have been using sign language
interpreters for more than 40 years. I have seen good and bad interpreters. I
have bad experiences with bad interpreters. My experiences with bad interpreters
are serious enough to require that all interpreters be licensed in order to be
more professional in service delivery. I do demand and expect each interpreter
who works for me to be licensed. I have the right to turn down any interpreters
that are NOT licensed. I cannot trust anyone without license.
You as a
consumer have a right to request for one. You can ask to see if he or she is
licensed. If not, you can file a complaint with the state licensing board. This
is why we do need the kind of system to keep interpreters in line with rules and
policies.
I am sharing with you some of my experiences with some bad
interpreters.
1. I was working for a housing project that had a hearing
man. He claimed to be an interpreter. It was hard to read his signs and I have
seen him misinterpret some of his clients in his office. He twisted the
information from his clients when newspaper reporters were asking questions. He
was even worse to the point of manipulting deaf clients.
It was terrible
experience.
2. I was working for a service agency that the director had
a wife who claimed to be an interpreter. She was terrible at interpreting. She
was so egostical and so selfish. The clients had hard time understanding her and
she made so many mistakes that ruined the lives of clients.
3. I was
visiting a town and there was a hearing guy who claimed to be interpreter. He
only used fingerspelling and mouthed words to tell us what was going on. He did
not even use ASL smoothly at all. He was so terrible that I had to leave.
4. I was working for a service agency that practiced nepotism and
tokenism. The family claimed to be interpreters. They were only out to get money
to finance themselves and they were so bad that I refused to use them to
interpret for me. The clients suffered in many situations that I witnessed to
the point of refusing to work for them anymore.
5. There has been
problems in courts with bad interpreters. One interpreter misinterpreted the sex
abuse case. A woman tried to tell police about her rape situation. The police
did not understand. It took longer to explain by paper. The interpreter was
unable to do the job.
6. Another situation was that the interpreter
misquoted what the woman said in a rape case in the court. The interpreter said
that they were "making love" when actually the man abused and raped brutally
her. The court let the rapist go free. It is injustice for the deaf woman!
Speaking of injustice, we need to stop corruption, abuse and lack of
professionalism in interpreting.
We deserve the right to have licensed
interpreters who can do the job right and be professional at the same time!
This is why more and more states are working on licensing interpreters!
It is beneficial for us all!
Go to the state legislators and tell
them we do need licensure system to weed out bad interpreters!
Go for
it! You will be glad you did it!
Sincerely,
Paul J. Kiel
a
tireless Deaf Advocate
~*~*~
Another issue about Interpreting agencies and costs.. It's very sad situation but it HAS to be changed or improve for BOTH sides (Deaf and Hearing) I am aware of difficulties many areas are having with costs and even the fact not enough interpreters available to handle assignments nowadays due to Video Relay Services.. I think it's time for MAJOR OVERHAUL cleaning and make it within margin rates of costs for every states, no matter where you are at but costs should be within margin rates for ALL states as I have noticed some states pays better than other etc.. We need to make sure that it is a requirement that we screen people who want to come and work in deaf centers like we have in Knoxville TN. , KCD..
It is time for WORLD to be very aware of deafness (ALL TYPE OF DEAFNESS, that includes Oralist, CI and so on) and make this world accessible to everyone. It is no excuse for the world to continue to have barriers because deaf, blind, wheelchair, all disabilities has been around for long time and still have to approach barriers and ignorant people who chose not to be accessible or make the barrier crumble between worlds..
Thanks!
Till then, M-










2 Comments:
I agree 100%. Paid interpreters should be licensed. The only time an unlicensed person should interpret is if no one else can be contacted. Or in my case, if the one supposed to come doesn't show up. I did the best I could, which isn't easy at 2 am on an off night.
Ask Bucky when he wants to go riding. I can't wait to see his bike.
Hey mom, remember u told me on my blogger comment that u will come and help me, HAHA that funny becuz i promise you i WILL live in california!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) smile...
Post a Comment
<< Home