Enter your email address below to subscribe to Mary's Blog!


powered by Bloglet
Locations of visitors to this page
Search for gas prices by US Zip Code

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

This post is all about Coal Miners..


My Grandpa Wynn was a coal miner for, I think for 50 years but I defintely know it was many many many years until he retired.. He worked as a coal miner in Harlan KY (called Bloody Harlan for its history..) or somewhere close by that area.. He had his back broken once working in the mines.. I think two or three uncles, Dad's brothers worked in mines as well but didn't work long as Grandpa did before they changed jobs..

When Grandpa died in 1986, The coal miner group from black lung group sent over the big floral arrangement to the funeral.. I have known all my life that where Grandpa worked but didn't realize how dangerous it was until I got much older and heard a lot about the blast and collapsing of coal mines and people dying and some survived..

This story happened January 2nd and I do really feel for the families who lost their loved ones in WVA and I am saying my prayers for the sole survivor that he will continue to do well and be able to get back to his job as electrician not as a coal miner..

This link is related to coal mine incident in PA during year of 2002..

Got this from CNN.com

DEADLY MINE ACCIDENTS
2001: Explosions at a Jim Walter Resources Inc. mine in Brookwood, Alabama, kill 13 people.
1992: A blast at a Southmountain Coal Co. mine in Norton, Virginia, kills eight.
1989: An explosion at a Pyro Mining Co. mine in Wheatcroft, Kentucky, kills 10.
1986: A coal pile collapses at Consolidation Coal Co.'s mine in Fairview, West Virginia, killing five. 1984: A fire at Emery Mining Corp.'s mine in Orangeville, Utah, kills 27.

Please keep those family members in your thoughts and prayers as they go through this horrible time of their lives after losing their loved ones..

M-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home